Gluten Free Is The Way To Be!

Thank you, Ryan. Seriously, folks, this gluten stuff can be a real killer. Some people are so allergic to it (Celiac's disease) and some people merely have an intolerance. More info here. I do not have celiac disease, but I do have gluten intolerance. What does that mean? Well, it means that if I eat gluten I have a very unhappy tummy (I'll spare y'all the details) and I get all bloated and cranky. It's not a fun time for me. Some people think I'm just a snob following diet trends. Lemme tell ya-I *miss* gluten. Sandwich bread...real pasta...while a Jedi may crave not these things, I sure as hell do! When it comes to eating gluten-free your best bet is to just give up the food entirely. Trying to substitute it with gluten-free stuff can result in very expensive "Franken-Food" that still won't taste as good as the real stuff. Sometimes I just crave macaroni and cheese so bad that I give in to the need and buy rice pasta. It tastes pretty close to the regular stuff, but you can still tell in the end. But, if it works for a temporary fix, then I'll use it.

The hardest part of being gluten free is breakfast. Eggs and bacon are great but after the 400th time in a row it gets a little boring. So what do you make for breakfast food that's tasty, nutritious, and gluten-free? Why, chocolate-chocolate chip muffins, of course! :)

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins:

From http://glutenfreefix.com (with some alterations)
  • 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup maple almond butter
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
  • 5-10 drops liquid vanilla stevia (optional if you like a sweeter muffin)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Gently melt together butter and honey.
  3. Whisk in cocoa powder and almond butter until smooth.
  4. Whisk in eggs and baking soda.
  5. Pour into lined muffin tin.
  6. Bake for 18-22 minutes until done.
  7. Yields 12 muffins.
My kids LOVE these.  Whenever I make them I have to make a double batch because 12 won't last the whole day. These have a pretty good punch of protein, no refined sugar, and are pretty low in carb count. Add to the fact that they're gluten-free and you got one fine muffin!


Comments