OH MY GOD IT'S THE PLAGUE!!!


Okay, it's probably NOT that serious. But it gets the point across, right? So, Thanksgiving comes and goes and only the Bug is sick with what we think it's an ear infection. The Hubby has been battling a sinus infection for the past week, but he's holding his own. No problem, right? Ohhh...how wrong we all were.

Friday morning I wake up with a freight train running through my skull and evil gnomes doing a tap dance in my stomach. The Hubby has spiked a lovely fever and can't breathe. The Bug was going to the doctor anyway because of the ear infection but now he's coughing and hacking and running a fever as well. So we all take a family trip to the doctor. Diagnoses? 

Hubby has a "raging sinus infection" with a secondary otitis media. Prescribed codeine cough syrup (woohoo!) and antibiotic. 

The Bug has a "raging ear infection". Prescribed an antibiotic suspension, grape flavored (read: icky medicine flavored).

I have a "systemic bacterial infection". AKA: dunno what's going on, but your lymph nodes are swollen and you feel like crap. Prescribed an antibiotic that kills everything. 

The Imp states, as we are walking out of the office, "Mom, I don't feel so good." I think it's just her wanting attention and brush it off. 

Fill prescriptions. 
Attempt to medicate the Bug. 

It did not go well.

All night I was up with sick kids. The Imp spikes a 103 fever in the middle of the night. The Bug is up all night coughing. And the Hubby is just a man who doesn't like being sick. I've heard the phrase "Honey, I'm dying" more times than I can count. So, what do you do when you're a mom who doesn't feel all that great yourself, but you're the least sick out of the lot? YOU SUCK IT UP, THAT'S WHAT! 

And you put on your Dr. Mom outfit and go to work. Like a boss.
I'm under there somewhere.
And now for my bountiful wisdom I have learned as a mom dealing with sick people. I have learned that forcing a child to take medication is not only impossible, but messy. So I have devised the best methods for medicating children without their knowledge. 'Cause I'm a devious bitch. 

  • Overly sweet medications can be masked in apple juice, just make sure they drink all of it.
  • Bitter or "chemical" tasting medications are hard to mask but chocolate cures most ills. Get a piece of good chocolate and have them take a bite and down the medication in one, then finish the chocolate. Chocolate covers up most bad tastes.
  • Salty or chalky medicines can be covered up with some good cheese. 


And if you have a whiny husband who needs to sleep give him a hot toddy. It'll knock his ass out AND gives a good kick of vitamin C, the healing benefits of honey, and whiskey. Here's my recipe:


1 shot (1.5 fl oz) good whiskey (I like Bushmills, but that's just me)
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1-2 TBS honey, raw is best
6-8 fl oz hot water

Mix it all together and serve it in a mug to your sick husband. They'll feel better really quick. Or they'll pass out. Either way, it's quiet again! That's all for now. It's time for me to do my rounds and bed checks. 


Comments