I have not been having a great week, folks.
And, oh, was there cake.
Gluten free, sugar free chocolate birthday cake with a vanilla butter cream frosting. Oh yea. It was good. And yes, I have a recipe for you.
Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Vanilla IcingThis will make two 9" round cakes about 1-2 inches high.
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coco powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla liquid stevia
- Preheat your oven to 350 (F).
- Using a pencil and parchment paper, trace the bottoms of the cake pans, cut them out, and place the liner in the cake pans. Grease the sides of the pan very well to prevent sticking. This really isn't a step you can skip if you want cakes that pop out of the pan easy.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix honey and butter.
- Add eggs, mix well. Don't worry if it gets a little foamy.
- Add liquid stevia and melted chocolate chips, mix well.
- In a separate bowl blend together dry ingredients.
- Slowly fold dry ingredients into the honey mixture and mix well.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into each pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Note: These cakes may leave some crumbs on the toothpick. The key is to look for wiggling. If the center is wiggly it's not done.
- Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans before removing them.
Sugar Free Vanilla Butter Cream FrostingHonestly, this recipe is so easy it's almost embarrassing.
- (2) 1.4oz packages of Jell-O sugar free pudding mix in any flavor you like. We do vanilla here.
- 3 1/2 - 4 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Empty mix into a large food processor
- SLOWLY add cream until you reach desired consistency.
So the cake has helped to numb the pain a little. Not much, but at least I'm not bawling. Danny has a highly aggressive carcinoma. The doctor said he may have 6-8 good months left. We've decided to not do surgery and just keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. He's 13...he's been well loved and loving. He's a good boy. It hurts to let go, but I know I have to. My poor old man. :'(